Monday, July 27, 2009

Day 149 - Try a Technique: Sponging

Welcome to Day 2 of Reader Appreciation Week!

Here is your Top Trio:
1) Tesa - for this soft and beautiful envelope card based on the sketch.
2)Teza - for a stunning Twilight-inspired card.
3)Jennifer - who "raised" her card beautifully.


You all have earned Card of the Week honors and the COTW blinkie for your blogs. By the way, I was blown away by the many wonderful interpretations of the sympathy card challenge. So much so that I tried to narrow it down to even a few favorites to consider for the Top Trio, but I could not. I was amazed by the variety, and yet all the cards fit well with the challenge - great work, Everyone!

I've been thinking that as with the Top Trio, we need to have a name for the group that completes every challenge for the week. Any suggestions? Well, for now it will be "the group of people who completed all the challenges last week", who most certainly deserve to be acknowledged:
Sherry Ann, Michelle M., Tasia D., Piali, SAM, Patti J., Jenny S., Kerstin, Teza, Chrissie, Paula M., Janice, Lila C., Carolyn V., Linda B., Kortney M., and Celeste
Today's 365 Reader was selected by Gloria:
Introducing Barb Foster:

I am an Architectural Project Manager by trade, and though my job is in the creative spectrum, I always find myself wanting to do more! I discovered The Angel Company, a direct-sales rubber stamping & scrapbooking company, in December 2005 and immediately signed up to be a demonstrator… lovin’ every minute of it!

Stamping is a HUGE part of my artistic outlet due to the varied techniques and mediums that I may use. I am also a scrapbooker, though non-traditional in that I mainly create very personalized artsy books that have an altered art feel. It’s hard for me to create a scrapbook page without stamping SOMETHING! What began as gifts for friends and loved ones, soon led to a few commissions, a couple of guest blogger stints, a design team gig and, most recently, a Catalogue Designer for The Angel Company!
If you pop in and visit my blog, you will definitely notice that I have a PASSION for Halloween! I have a huge Halloween décor collection that is displayed year-round in several rooms of the house, including an 8-1/2 foot tall mummy prop made from teak wood & paper mache :) I tend to take a harmless, lovely stamp and figure out a way to use it for the macabre. So not only do I collect Halloween image stamps, I collect images that I can MAKE Halloweenie!


Today's challenge is all about Sponging. I don't care how you use it, just use the sponging technique on your card. Here is Barb's card:


This is marvelously macabre, Barb, thanks for sharing this card with us! Here is what Gloria has to say about Barb:
I chose Barb for Reader Appreciation Week because I love her style (and she's funny). Barb adds amazing detail to every one of her cards. Every time I look at her cards I say, "Wow, I wish I'd have thought of that!" Her cards have these amazing layers and distressing and stitching; they are a joy to behold. Barb has an innovative way of using products and supplies that makes me want to bow and kiss her feet! I really admire her card-making skills and felt she was a good choice for RAW.
And of course, since it is Monday, Gloria is sharing her take on the challenge:
This is definitely a work of art, Gloria!
I love the look of sponging on cards and look forward seeing your marvelous creations using this technique.
Hey - have you been over to my card kit blog recently? Well, you might want to pop over there and check it out, because one of you will win a complete card kit at the end of the week! Just my little way of saying how much I appreciate each and every one of you :) And all you have to do is participate this week. Just a couple of rules:
1) Each card must be newly created for the 365 challenge (but may be combined with challenges on other blogs).
2) You can earn up to 7 entries in this random drawing and you have until Saturday, August 1st at 11:59 PM EST to link up your cards.
So get to work and link up!

17 comments:

Chrissie said...

I'm a little confused about the date!
I know I'm in a different time zone, but isn't today Monday 27th July? It was my birthday yesterday and my son's today, so I kind of tend to take more note of the dates than usual!
Chrissie

Quirky said...

Hey, Happy Birthday Chrissie!! :)

Anyways... just wanted to say that I missed out on uploading the last 3 challenges for last week cos I don't have internet connection back in my hometown... :(

I've uploaded it now anyways... and am attempting to complete the whole of this weeks!! :D

Patti J. said...

Wow! Barb F. absolutely rocks - great choice!!!

Barb said...

Beautiful card, Gloria! And thank you so much for your kind words... I am beyond flattered :)

PaulaM said...

Great challenge - love sponging. And Barb - your card is beautiful.

Christi said...

My card used sponging and dimention from this week and last. I had alot of fun with it! Thanks!Just uploaded to mr linky!

fabricbutterfly said...

Wow, great choice Gloria, I have sooo enjoyed Barb's blog also, great talent...............................I don't think I would kiss her feet though,,,,,I'm just sayin' :)

Alicia@Playing With Paper said...

I, too, had internet problems. Today the tech guy came and had to redo one of the ends of a wire. I am back online now and faster than ever. I return to work tomorrow after a summer off but plan to keep up with my 365 cards!! Off to work on this challenge. Cool challenge!!

cjsmom said...

I don't like the way this card came out at all! it was definetly a challenge

StampinCarol said...

Both cards are wonderful! I know Barb's work and she is just so talented in TAC!!

Scrapaddict said...

Pam, I tried this on the message board, but here goes again.

I have a few suggestions for a group name for those who complete all weekly challenges:

" All Challenge ***STARS*** "
" 365 All Challenge Stars "
" Weekly Challenge Stars " or All-Stars
" 365 ALL-STARS "
" 365 STAR Challengers "

Tasia D. said...

What talent, Barb! Halloween is my favorite holiday, too - I haven't gotten to do a Halloween card, though - I really think I should .. SOON! Especially now that I'm so inspired to do so!

Sponging - EEK! This was super hard for me. It took me all day to figure out what to do, and then I ended up coupling it with another challenge for my first time. Whew. My brain aches haha
Great cards ladies!

Juanita said...

I enjoyed playing in this challenge.

TesaB said...

Love this challenge, and love your cards Barb! Fantastic sponging, the halloween moone is amazing!

And thanks for the top three! It's an honor!

Seleise said...

Barb's talent is beyond awesome! I visit her blog all the time for inspiration and love this halloween card! And, Gloria's card is beautiful too! Love the textures and colors!

STAMPING SAM said...

What a fun challenge! Thanks!

Linda said...

Your cards are very beautiful with your sponging techniques!!
I have posted my card in Mr Linky.